I don't make blankets, but if I did...

Sometime around May, I noticed quite a few of my favorite podcasters were working on crochet blankets. They were made of scrap sock yarn and a solid white, and I felt a strange pull.  I don't know if you know, but  I am *not* a blanket person.  My only attempt at blanket was knitted (first mistake) and modular (which was not a mistake) but I lost steam and never looked at it again. So, I do not make blankets.

 But something was happening to my mojo.  It was slipping away. I was feeling so tired, so depressed.  So lost.  And then I made a pair of squares.  And I daresay I found myself.


And then I made a few more in the next few days.  But it was not for a blanket.


I don't make blankets.


 

And then I ordered some white yarn. You need the same amount of white yarn as scrappy yarn, but I started out with three skeins. I didn't want to go overboard at first because I didn't know if I would lose steam.


Ultimately, I used eight and a half.


But I am not a blanket maker, and this was not a blanket.


Absolutely not.


At a certain point I caved. I realized that this was definitely happening, this not-a-blanket, so I ordered the rest of the white yarn.  The cool thing about this pattern is you attach as you go with the white.  I could have just made a bunch of colored squares, then made the white, but it was satisfying to watch it all come together, row by row.


 

And then I saw the end.  I was making, oh 30+ sqaures a day, and I was attaching them as fast as I was making them.  I finished the last colored squares and all I had was white.


It took a good solid three months to crochet it, but finally I made the border, steamed it and it was done.



And it was good.


And everyone loves it, and we use it almost every day, especially since we keep the house so cold.


And sometime near the end of this massive project, I felt my mojo return.  I bought yarn, I had a project in mind.  I bought some fiber, too, and I felt the wheels of my creative mind start to stretch and yaw and move. And that was Very good.

Cheers!


 

Pattern: Battenburg Blanket by Sandra Paul

Modifications: 27 x 27 squares instead of whatever they had in the pattern, my gauge was slightly looser than the designer.

Yarn: 8.5 skeins knit picks bare stroll and ~800 grams leftover sock scraps.

hook size: 4mm


Comments