Season of Vanilla Knitting

Good News!

Husband got the job he was hoping for and we're officially moving.  Which means everything is happening and it's happening pretty fast.  Well, it's hard to say it's happening fast because Zac will be leaving for California in a matter of weeks and he'll be alone for about a month to 6 weeks before the kids and I follow. So, I am not pressed to pack the whole house in time for him to go. But, I am making a huge effort to go through everything and get rid of stuff we don't need before he goes so he can help with the 'getting rid of' part.

 Which turns out is quite a bit.  How on earth did we manage to collect 7 full-size suitcases?  Where did all these top sheets come from?  We don't even *use* top sheets.  Will I ever watch Toby's sonogram video.  No, no I will not.  He's right there and he's 9 and a half.  We certainly are not ones to keep so much stuff we can't park in the garage, and our attic doesn't have anything stored in it.  But I don't need to keep books the cat has chewed up, nor installation CDs for two or three routers ago.

Why do I feel the obligation to keep all this fabric leftovers?  Am I reasonably going to sew with them?  No. Toss.

And I already mentioned halving my yarn stash.  I also went through and got rid of shawls I don't ever wear, and a few sweaters that don't fit right/I also never wear.  It's a bit freeing.

 Needless to say I am busy and my mind is pretty much occupied.  It leaves very little room for managing to do more than plain vanilla knitting.  Which is fine, I am here for it.

I finished my handspun bedsocks the other day:


 

I took a close-up so you can see how even and lovely the stitches are.  They are cozy cozy socks.

I spent a few days working a little bit here and there on my sweater, but it is not finished as I predicted.  but I am almost done with the bottom rib:


I started some new vanilla socks mid-month.  It was before I was finished the bed socks, because I got completely enabled by the yarn, it simply had to be knit with right away:

And then a few days ago, I realized that I had some obligation knitting to get going on.  Not a dreadful obligation, just.. to return a favor.  Someone deserves some gift socks, and the socks aren't going to knit themselves:

So, I have 3 WIPs going and they're all mindless plain things.  Based on past knitting, you'd think I'd be bored to death, but I'm not.  There's a season for everything, and right now it's the season of vanilla knitting.  Eventually I'll feel the need to bring in some complication.  The Alice scarf is getting love most days, and that is definitely mindful knitting.  Other than that, it's just knit knit knit, turn turn turn.

Oh! I did work a few days ago on my newest cross-stitch project:

 

But currently it's just filling in with that light taupe color.  Mindless needlework.

Thanks for looking!

patterns:

bed socks: improvised 48 stitch vanilla sock

Felix Pullover by Amy Christoffers, yarn is knit picks reverie

Both vanilla socks are my go-to 64 stitch vanilla sock.  The light blue yarn is Hedgehog fibers BFL sock in the Ozone colorway, the teal is Birch Dyeworks 80/20 Merino nylon in the Emily colorway.



Comments