Imaginary knitting

 hi there!

I know you're expecting pokemon.  And there is some pokemon, but there's also other crafts I've been doing.  I know!  Crazy. Other crafts!

I believe it was the Q&A that made me realize that Winter is Coming, and Hazel needs her sweater soon.  OK, so it doesn't get too terribly cold here in middling northern California.  It might get to freezing, but so far it's been in the high 40s and low 50s in the morning.  So, chilly if you're not used to it.  And the house can be quite chilly too.  I know I've been wearing my sweaters.

Also, I ordered another spinning tool last week and it arrived and I wanted to do nothing but spin, but I really can't drop spindle all day.  It would be bad for my neck and my back.

Needless to say, I dropped the cross stitch and picked up spinning and knitting.

First things first, new spindle!



It is from gnomespun yarn and fiber arts, and it is absolutely heavenly to spin with.  I'm usually the middle grade spinner, excepting my wheel, it feels more than a bit indulgent to drop more than 30$ on a drop spindle.  Also, how many spindles does one person need?

And the answer to that question is definitely more than 2.

Less than 15, probably.  XD

But.  This spindle was handmade with quite a few types of wood.  I can feel the quality in my fingers when I spin.  And it spins so beautifully.

I used a fanceee rim weighted spindle before. There is weight around the outside of the whorl to keep the thing balanced and let it spin longer, but in that first case the spindle shaft wasn't long enough so it was really top heavy.  In fact, after a few goes, the hook and top part of the spindle completely broke from dropping too many times.  The TOP part of the drop spindle snapped.  And, to absolutely brag, this was ME spindling.  I don't drop spindles.  There was something wrong with the design.  I was always a bit suspicious of the value of a rim weighted spindle.  This one, conversely, is perfectly balanced.  The spindle rod itself feels amazing in my fingers, and the design is beautiful.

I know there's a Neverending Story connection, but when I first saw it I thought ouroboros.  Zac and I have a thing for them.  He has these terrifying snakes on his arms, two heads, one on each end.  And yeah, badass.  BUT, it's a little more cornball than that and I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, the spindle came with a sample of Finn, so I've been spinning that.

I also have been spindling every day when I wait for the kids to come out of school.  I had a sample batt going, but I decided to take the third ply of that sparkly sliver, from christmas, and spin that.  One was spun on a spindle, one was going on my wheel, and the third will be done on one of my turks! Cause I have two.  Stop judging! I can feel your judgement.

My other turk is currently spinning the second half of that Finn.  See now why I need so many spindles?  geez.

And in the meantime, I'm knitting sweaters for the children.



The cat is helping.

The second sweater is a bit farther down the ribbing now.  Then I'll move on to sleeves.  It's my vanilla knitting these days, I've been working on it instead of socks for the past few weeks in the evenings.

The first sweater is the Campside cardigan. I had Hazel try it on last night.  She had actually forgotten I was knitting a sweater for her.  So it made my mind wander.  Which can be dangerous.

And now we come to the title of the blog.  Imaginary knitting.  Imaginary knitting is what it sounds like.  What sort of design is begging to be cast on?  What is missing from my wardrobe?  When do I get to knit for ME?

I am imagining knitting a light t-shirt, white with thin black stripes. I'm imagining a boat neck and wide shoulders that create a bit of a sleeve.  Something that will look lovely under my pinafore.  Or with narrow black capris and red shoes.

The yarn should be thin, so it has some good drape and is versatile.

And I've already ordered the yarn.  I will likely shove it under the tree for Christmas.  I have a lot of other things going on.

Imaginary knitting is definitely dangerous.

Anyway, here's what you all came for, pokemon:











This is how it sits currently. page 20!  I haven't touched it in a few days, I really am trying to get through the sweaters.  It's amazing how quickly knitting goes when you actually work on it.  Who'd have thought?

That's about it.  I know it was a lot.

 I'd love to hear about any imaginary knitting you've done!  If it ever culminated in a lovely new shawl or sweater or anything!

Comments