It's been a whole month!

And what a month it's been!  I'm sorry to have recklessly abandoned you for so many weeks, blog, but I was busy!

Ok, so half of it was busy, moving was hectic, that whole unpacking thing was stressful, but I also didn't prioritize blogging through all of this.  We've been in the house for two weeks tomorrow, and time doesn't feel real.  It simultaneously feels right that it's been 2 weeks, but also like we've been here a lot longer.

Anyway!  Despite everything, I have crafting to share.  I made it a very important point to finish the fingerless mitts I made for my mother-in-law before she arrived.

These are more for material rather than color.  I am not a big fan of the coloring here, and in fact, this yarn was a mistake from the dyer-- she meant to send the TARDIS yellow and blue that I made that hat out of, but she had issues with the skein.  Anyway, the dyer let me keep this yarn and it actually kind of goes with the shawl I made for MIL last year.  This yarn is a lovely Merino Cashmere Nylon blend that is so scrumptious.  The pattern is Podster Gloves, and it's free on Ravelry.  I made the size large, despite that MIL has smaller hands than me, she wanted them roomy.

I made them for MIL because, well, because she's going to be going through chemo in the next few months.  It's not great, but she's in good spirits and has a lot of support and love coming from a lot of people.  FUCK CANCER.

She and Father-in-law arrived the day before the big move, on the 10th, and they gathered up the moving van and we started loading it that day.  Next day we managed to fill the truck with most of our stuff, it was going to take two trips.  This was unfortunate, but what are you going to do?  At the very least it was only 1.5 hours to the new house rather than 4 or 8 or even cross country.

We were Tired.  For days we were tired.  But the house was lovely.  There was a day in there where we got a new bed and another where we got our table.  there were trips to the cardboard recyclers and trips to find the best grocery store.  I unpacked everything but the books and the tools.  (the books are waiting on a bookcase and the tools are Zac's job).

As of yesterday, the house is like this:


 








Ok, so the cat on the banister is not a permanent feature, but she is obsessed with the stairway area.  cats, man.  so weird. XD

In crafting stuff, after I finished the pair of mitts for my MIL, I felt the pull to make myself another pair of convertible mittens.  I have an old pair that doesn't fit me so well and have had for several years.  Time for a refresh!  (and yes, I'm aware that this was my 4th pair of hand thing in a row)


I don't have a lot to share about them.  I can't even remember the name of the yarn, cause it was part of that massive destash I bought off a fellow LSGer and I lost the yarn tag in the move.  oops.  I did manage to make them matchy matchy.  This is the same Podster Glove pattern, but in the smaller size.

 I did spend a few minutes the other day spinning at my EEW:

I have one more rolag to do and then plying and then I'm done.  Very Exciting, this.  Not really, I know it's black.  It's a slog, but I'll definitely enjoy the finished yarn and probably immediately jump back into that crochet cardigan this is meant for.

There was also a few hours of cross stitch a few days ago:

Zidane here will need some outlining to bring him fully to life, but I'm almost ready for the next character!  I think the next character is a moogle, so that should be quick.  After that, it's Vivi!  My favorite! ^^

I also did some sweater knitting yesterday.  I have my birthday nightshades sweater going.  I finished the body and started the sleeves Two-at-a-time.  It's black, and downstairs, so not handy for picture taking, sorry.  I'm doing Hearthstone, which is a bottom up raglan.  When I finish the sleeves, I'll join them to the armpit in the round and continue by decreasing up the shoulders of the garment.  This pattern is neat though, cause there's cabling where the raglan decreases are.  So, unfortunately it means that 80% of the sweater is plain knitting and then it gets interesting for the last little bit.

Lastly, I actually started a weaving project on my loom!  I was looking at my loom, and set her up in her space behind the couch in the living room, realized that she's not taking up room that is better used for something else, that I kind of feel like using her for once, and warped on a new project!  I was considering for quite awhile getting rid of her, re-homing to someone who would put her to use and feel inspired. But, I don't feel that anymore.  She's a good tool, and will be a nice mindless sort of thing to have in the background (literally, since she lives behind the couch).

 


Here she is half-warped.

My spinning wheel, if you were looking for her in the house tour actually lives in the cupboard under the stairs.  There's actually an enormous amount of room under there, and will be more once I can unpack the books on a shelf or three.  So Edith the spinning wheel lives next to the vacuum.  This will keep her free of dust and away from foot traffic that might damage her.  I haven't really felt like bringing her out to spin.  I really only got back into daily crafting a week ago.  The entire week before was devoted to making the new house feel like home.

And of course, over the next few months we'll be making more changes, painting rooms and hanging things on the walls.  It's very exciting! And I'm here for it!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who celebrates!  I'm going to be cooking for our meal next week since Zac is working through the holiday weekend.

Cheers!


Comments

Post a Comment